On 10/29/2013 4:02 PM, LizR wrote:
On 30 October 2013 07:53, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 10/29/2013 9:27 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
    Depressingly, until the
    middle of the XX century there was no general consensus that all human
    beings are people with equal rights.

That's a very recent idea, indeed.

    It's so recent that it's well into the future.  There are large parts of
the Earth
    where equal rights for women do not exist and are considered wrong and even
wicked.

True.

    And of course children do not have full rights anywhere and I don't expect
that to
    change.

I'm not sure if you consider this a bad thing, but if so, it's fair to argue that at least in some cases this is for their own good. For example, my children are provided for by their parents, and therefore don't have the rights that would come if they were equal providers in the household. They are birds in a gilded cage. E.g. they don't have the right to carry out actions (like trombone practice) when these would interfere with work that brings in money for their upkeep. Toddlers don't have the right to run into a busy road, or to play with electrical equipment; my children don't have the right to take time off school whenever they like, this is in order to ensure they are properly educated, which is a right they should have but don't always want. Nor do they have the right to only eat unhealthy food, which would cause them problems later in life. They don't have the right to stay out all night, except at a friend's house, because that would be unsafe. And so on. They do have a right to be provided for by their parents, and not to be exploited. They are 12 and 15, and will gradually acquire all the above-mentioned rights as they get older.

That was my point. Children are definitely persons if anyone is - but that's not a reason to bestow all kinds of rights on them. Rights are social constructs.