On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

A Quora answer to the following question. Nothing new for me here probably,
> but It's maybe organized in a more concise way.
>

>> Philosophy: If human beings are nothing more than matter, why are you
>> conscious as
>> yourself?<http://www.quora.com/Philosophy/If-human-beings-are-nothing-more-than-matter-why-are-you-conscious-as-yourself>

I think the question itself derives from extrapolating the explanatory
power of reductionism too far.  It is like trying to explain the saltiness
of potato chips by assuming there must be some more fundamental salt-like
quality inherent in the quarks that make up the potato chip.  This would be
wrong, saltiness can only arise at levels much higher than those of
individual quarks and electrons.  You would not expect to find saltiness in
a quark, so why expect to find consciousness in a molecule?

Jason