On 29 Oct 2013, at 23:26, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/29/2013 7:30 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Also with comp, consciousness is NOT a product of the mind. that's still too much an aristotelian way to express the "identity" thesis. Consciousness is not physical, it is the mental state of person associated to machines, when those person develop *some* true belief.

Why do you specify *true* belief.

Because we want the first axiom of "knowledge" to be satisfied: "know(p) -> p".

That seems very restrictive and even untestable, since we're never sure whether a belief is true.

That's what makes this definition of knowledge compatible with the dream argument. We know very few things as such indeed.

Then it works. Bp & p gives a logic of subjective time, coherent with associating a person to a computation. Physical time is something different, and it is still an open problem if anything like that can exist.