Groan! -- "The prospect of ferreting out animal emotions scares many
scientists."

"M.R.I.’s are conducted in loud, confined spaces." -- Jeez, I do NOT expect
to see the N.Y. Times misusing apostrophes!

"The ability to experience positive emotions, like love and attachment,
would mean that dogs have a level of sentience comparable to that of a
human child. And this ability suggests a rethinking of how we treat dogs."
-- Really? Is anyone in doubt that dogs can experience love and attachment?
As you said, doesn't seem like news to me, either.