On 11/3/2013 3:17 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
>On 11/3/2013 10:49 AM, John Clark wrote:
>>
>>Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is considered by many to be a
>>intellectual, in fact the leading intellectual on the Supreme Court,
>

>Of course that "many" consists of bible thumping Tea Baggers, worshipers of
>Ayn Rand, and snake handlers who have general contempt for "intellectuals".
I don't understand how Ayn Rand find herself in such dubious company.
She was a harsh critic of religion and she essentially praised
science, philosophy and other intellectual pursuits as the source of
all that is good in the world.

Because she preached greed is good and implied that if you were richer and more powerful than other people it was no reason to do anything to help them, you earned it (even if you inherited it). And it would be immoral for the government to take any of your money to help those proles. This of course appeals to people with money and power who fund political astroturf movements that oppose anything that might upset their favored position in society. She glorified the ultra-individualist. Did you read about her thoughts on William Hickman?

"...the amazing picture of a man with no regard whatsoever for all that a society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. A man who really stands alone, in action and in soul. … Other people do not exist for him, and he does not see why they should." She called him "a brilliant, unusual, exceptional boy," shimmering with "immense, explicit egotism." Rand had only one regret: "A strong man can eventually trample society under its feet. That boy [Hickman] was not strong enough."

She was so taken with idea of the Ubermensch and hatred of communism that she did not appreciate that man is a social being and progress depends on empathy and cooperation as much as genius.

Brent
"If I have seen farther than other men it is because I have stood on the shoulders
of giants."
    --- Isaac Newton