Try to remember, that in Russia, and China, as well as the USA, are all partly, ruled by billionaires. People with great fortunes. Also, we humans are like any other primate, because when some of these billionaires do things we like, like Bill Gates, we become forgiving and more content with their rule. I am no different in this.
-----Original Message-----
From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Nov 5, 2013 4:26 pm
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

In the meantime, the corporates are doing their best to enslave world via the internet...

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/298-185/20253-focus-were-about-to-lose-net-neutrality-and-the-internet-as-we-know-it

On 6 November 2013 02:24, Telmo Menezes &lt;te...@telmomenezes.com&gt; wrote:
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy
&lt;multiplecit...@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; Regarding government totalitarianism in Nazi terms: Carl Schmitt reasoned &gt; that corporations have the potential to become "states". If the government
&gt; doesn't keep their authority in check, they will enslave people and
&gt; government through market influence.

I have some hope that technology will soon enable a new type of
corporation that isn't really a power structure. It has been suggested
that BitCoin is, in fact, already such a thing. BitCoin is out of the
control of its creators, while at the same time having rewarded them
for their invention. And it's growing. This could be extended to all
things. For example, a decentralised network could connect patients
and health care providers in a free market of 1-to1 interactions,
propagate trust and reputation and so on. It could even allow for the
petition and providing of pro-bono work. The beauty of this sort of
thing is that it self-regulates: there's no CEO, no management, no
power struggles.

&gt; We're perhaps still running "dominance over reason" pretty much everywhere &gt; in the traditional colonial style... A few months ago the similarity of &gt; foundations and of legal justifications for exceptional powers ("state of &gt; emergency" Patriot, NDAA, secret Camps, limitless surveillance etc.) between &gt; international politics to political philosophy driving Nazi Germany struck
&gt; me.
&gt;
&gt; Carl Schmitt focused a lot of this for the Nazis in his writings. Now, I am &gt; not equating what is going on today with Germany then; that would be too &gt; quick and simplistic. Even if Wikipedia cannot reflect the nuances of his &gt; writing in German, it's still worth checking out his "work" section summary &gt; on Wikipedia and to ask ourselves: how much more civilized have we become &gt; since then? To what extent, have we really turned a page on this "dominance &gt; model of hierarchical politics" that the Nazis developed into the 20th
&gt; century; and re-branded that as "globalized freedom striving"?
&gt;
&gt; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Schmitt
&gt;
&gt; I'm not so sure we completely got rid of Nazi philosophy. I wonder if John &gt; Clark would consider this a philosophical contribution to the 20th century,
&gt; lol! This philosophy does seem to have "real consequences felt by
&gt; everybody". PGC
&gt;
&gt;