Brent – Community & compromise are noble ideals, but in practice the
exercise of power & realpolitick – as it has in fact been practiced through
history – has far more to do with facilitating and providing legal cover for
predation and securing unwarranted privilege for a reigning elite… be they
generals, bankers, comrades, or cardinals. Does it matter?

I agree it does come down to community, but community for whom exactly? Is
this community reserved for a small privileged elite dominating the
resources of a planet being driven over the cliff into the greatest
extinction since the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event?

Or, if not how far does the circle of community extend? How far till “they”
become identified as the “other” and the world is seen through the optic of
us and them?

I agree with your premise that community and compromise are both virtuous
and necessary – on a world with 7+ billion people rocketing towards 9
billion (personally don’t see how the bio systems of the planet will hold up
under our relentless onslaught so I have my doubts we will get there).

I don’t have a particular focus on government as the repository of evil; any
system of great power will become an engine of corruption. It is the
concentration of power into small entrenched (and often generationally
inherited) elites that creates the kinds of social, cultural, economic
structures that promote a rapacious, non-thinking yeast like behavior in
large masses of people.

It has always been and remains true that power corrupts and great power
corrupts greatly. Look at the arc of culture after culture… from Pharaonic
Egypt, Sumeria, the Olmecs, the Indus river valley civilizations onwards…
the same basic story line of ever increasing concentrations of power as a
centralizing elite became ascendant, followed by stagnant periods preceding
ultimate decline and collapse. The elites of all the ages, over and over
again like some kind of ground hog day joke on us all become cut off
insulated and shielded from reality by layers of servants, courtiers and
advisors. Look at the feeble minded inbred aristocracies of the ancien
régimes of the various courts of Europe immediately preceding WWI, or Hitler
(and the Nazi elites) believing almost to the end that things were going
well on the Eastern front… or the court of Louis XVI.

Power cuts itself off from reality and those who wield it become drunk with
power; it goes to their heads.

Power IS the great social problem. As entrenched power becomes established
in any culture that cultures days – and brilliance -- are surely numbered
for power will devour itself as it crushes those unlucky beneath and sucks
the air out of everything.

-Chris