On 06 Nov 2013, at 17:25, meekerdb wrote:

On 11/6/2013 12:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

There is nothing wrong being rich, unless the money is stolen money, and that's the case today.

There's nothing morally wrong with being rich, but it creates an ethical problem. Being much wealthier than others bestows a lot of power. If there is no effective government (like parts of Somalia) then the rich hire a personal army to protect their property. Where there is government, the police protect their property and the rich attempt to control the government through propaganda and buying influence. So long as the rich are not so rich as to live in a different 'world' than the middle class and they are relatively diverse this works OK. But the system seems to be unstable in that the rich can and do use their wealth and power to get more wealth and power - and not necessarily productively. So those who inherit wealth tend to gain even more wealth. Society needs to do something to stabilize the system and prevent the increasing concentration of wealth.

I completely agree. The problem is that with money, you can produce more money in two ways, honestly or dishonestly. Once a few "fake money" (based on a lie) appears, it corrupts the whole system, and the society get pyramidal, with a higher gap between poor and rich, and eventually this crush down.

We must think about a way to prevent that. Some state can play a role. But we have to get rid of the bandits first, and there is an easy way: legalize all drugs. Regulate them, and tax them proportionally by the "real" harm (that is measured by statistics no more confusing a -> b and b -> a) they do.

May be that is not enough. Prohibitionists should be judged. We have to get spiritual or mature enough to understand that.

The state must ensure the fairness of competition among products, their traceability, the presence of notice with the secondary effects, etc. But the state has nothing to say about what is good or not for any one. That's between you and you, with the help of your shaman if you decide so, but it is your decision, to say "yes" or "no" to this or that shaman.

Stopping prohibition will not solve all problems. But continuing prohibition aggravates the situation, ... except for the super-riches and the bandits.