I agree with just about everything she notes. I do have an issue with putting
pv plantations in the Sahara. I know the Germans were keen on this, and the
wired the power to Deutschland. Look no further than the happening with the US
embassy in Benghazi about 18 mos ago on 9-11. The subcritical reactor is
excellent, but unless it gets to market, it will just be a lab curiosity. Same
with fusion. I am good with all energy sources, as long as they can be
implemented quickly, and we don't have to keep waiting for tomorrows that never
come. That would be the logical thing IF, everyone is convinced about AGW being
the chief existential threat. What Greens propose as public policy is really
energy starvation rather then CO2 or methane, or particulate containment. If,
for example, America, or NZ, tanks economically/collapses, most are good with
this, because the environment is helped. It's helped except for the
contributions of the BRIC's who will tell us all to go pound sand.

Although there are lots of grassroots movements on this, the real power to do
some good of course lies with governments and big business. This is an
infrastructure thing, like state highways, but on a global scale - there is no
bigger commons than the environment, nor a bigger tragedy of the commons than
ecological collapse. Can we get our fingers out of our arses and do something?
I doubt it, but here are a few suggestions.

We need lots more nuclear (yes, I know, and I live in New Zealand where around
70% of the power is hydro and wind). Subcritical reactors are best, they run on
thorium, can't melt down, and can be used to reprocess uranium and plutonium
into something less dangerous. However they can't be used as part of a weapons
programme, which is why they've been ignored (except, I think, by India).

We need lots more solar - the Sun produces far more energy that we can use,
even the tiny bit that falls on Earth far exceeds our requirements. How much is
going begging in (say) the Sahara alone? A useful by-product would be bringing
Africa's economy up to speed, if it started exporting cheap power.

We probably need some geoengineering like aerosols in the upper atmosphere for
a short term fix, given that every week new climate records are broken,
Australia and America keep catching fire, we have the biggest storm on record
in the Phillipines, hottest year on record, hottest decade on record etc etc
etc.

We need a ton of research into renewables and carbon sequestration