On 11/10/2013 9:25 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 1:37 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
<mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 10 November 2013 08:13, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 11/9/2013 1:57 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
        Tegmark thinks he will survive, if the gun works sufficiently well. if
not he
        might degrade and eventually ... die. This makes no sense to me. It is
        annoying, but we can degrade a lot, yet we can't die (with just comp,
or, ITSM,
        with just the quantum MWI). With comp, we can expect jump, and
phase transition", though.

        Aside from not finding myself the oldest person on the planet, I see a
with quantum immortality in that quantum mechanics is time-reverse invariant. So I should be 'past immortal' also. But as Mark Twain said, "I do not fear
        death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and
billions of
        years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest
inconvenience from
        it."  If we are what our brains do it is easy to see why we should live
        past (low entropy) to future (higher entropy), be born and die.

    Leaving aside time reversibility (which I am myself rather hot on) for a
moment, if
    you're quantum immortal you can only expect to /eventually/ find yourself
the oldest
    person. Give it time. You have to go through the bit beforehand

Let's say the average life expectancy is a not infinite, but some very large number, like a google plex years. If you were to draw a ball at random from an urn that had a googleplex balls in it, each with its unique number inscribed on it, would you be surprised if the number was less than 100?

That is found to be less than 100 is surprising to a lot of people who consider quantum immortality, but it shouldn't be for a few reasons. One's statistical measure decreases over time. This is easiest to see in the quantum suicide experiment, where each pull of the trigger cuts one's measure in half. Imagine someone who did this every day of their life, their measure over time would be an infinite serious with a finite (not infinite) sum. Just like 3.333333 is a sum of an infinite number of numbers 3 + 0.3 + 0.003 ... nonetheless, it is still less than 4. If one's measure diminishes geometrically as they live to ever increasingly absurd lifetimes 200 years, 300 years, 400 years, etc., then the same effect is the result, and we should not be surprised at drawing a number less than 100.

So when your measure becomes less than one bit or too small to support your experience - you're dead.

The other reason we should not be surprised is that we have no idea how old we really are. Let's say heaven is real and all people live eternally. Then probabilistically this moment you are experiencing now is infinitely more likely to be a moment of perfect recall of this moment of life on earth (from heaven) rather than your life as the first time you lived it. In other words, if heaven exists, then you are almost surely already in it. Your age is some infinite number, and you have recalled this moment an infinite number of times.

Nietzsche's eternal return.  But is it heaven, or is it hell?

"Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the
dream that their souls are separate and self-existing
entities. Their heart still clings to Self. They are anxious
about heaven and they seek the pleasure of Self in heaven.
Thus they cannot see the bliss of righteousness of the
immortality of truth.' Selfish ideas appear in man's mind
due to his conception of Self and craving for existence."
      --- Siddhartha Gautama