On 11/10/2013 3:54 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2013/11/10 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

    On 11/9/2013 11:37 PM, LizR wrote:
    On 10 November 2013 08:13, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 11/9/2013 1:57 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
        Tegmark thinks he will survive, if the gun works sufficiently well. if
not he
        might degrade and eventually ... die. This makes no sense to me. It is
        annoying, but we can degrade a lot, yet we can't die (with just comp,
or,
        ITSM, with just the quantum MWI). With comp, we can expect jump, and
"consciousness phase transition", though.

        Aside from not finding myself the oldest person on the planet, I see a
problem
with quantum immortality in that quantum mechanics is time-reverse invariant. So I should be 'past immortal' also. But as Mark Twain said, "I do not fear
        death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and
billions of
        years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest
inconvenience from
        it."  If we are what our brains do it is easy to see why we should live
from
        past (low entropy) to future (higher entropy), be born and die.

    Leaving aside time reversibility (which I am myself rather hot on) for a
moment, if
    you're quantum immortal you can only expect to /eventually/ find yourself
the
    oldest person. Give it time. You have to go through the bit beforehand
beforehand...

    True, but finding yourself in the first 1/N of your life when N=inf is
highly unlikely.

Sure, but the thing is that *you have to*, and asking such question at that stage is very likely... you can't be 10⁵ years old before having been 1 year old... it's simply nonsense.

So you're falling back on the all-purpose 'everything' answer; whatever you observe is one of everything and that why everything is consistent with it - like why I'm not a Chinaman?