On 12 Nov 2013, at 06:23, Chris de Morsella wrote:

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com ] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 7:43 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

On 11 Nov 2013, at 18:49, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

A Grand Council of Truth?

>>Certainly not. Honesty is not "knowing truth". It is just being able to correct oneself when being shown wrong. It is very simple, if they were not jealousy, vanity, pride, and things like that.

Good point… but we are wrapped up in these other emotions and often driven by them, some more than others for sure, but all of us – if we are honest with ourselves -- to some degree on some occasions (no shame & no blame) We are so wrapped up in all of this that it drives us to hotly deny that anything of the sort could possibly be so; we cannot even begin admitting to it. Naturally there is a whole range of personality types along the spectrum; perhaps some humans have transcended it all… they say Buddha did, but the rest of us to one degree or another suffer from our own blind failings. It is a struggle within sometimes to not fall into these all too easy to fall into habits and their blind unthinking way of supplying the mind with readymade answers. This very quick, but unthinking mechanism makes sense in a field survival situation, where there is no time for thought to slow down response. Just some cardinal trigger and there is an immediate amplification of the signal in the brain and an immediate zoom to the fore of our minds. Often, especially in situations, such as can develop on internet discussion groups, primitive instincts take over – I have seen it, so have you, so has everyone here. Passion can drive instinctive behavioral modes to the fore. Re-learning the inner being living inside the mind is rather much a lifelong pursuit – for after all we are a moving target, and if we do not keep a certain vigilance we all risk falling into habitual modes of mind.

You are right. I think that biological evolution oscillates all the time between the selfishness (the self and his/her passions) and cooperation (long term sensible and reasonable action). This comes from the tension between the 1p and the 3p (Bp & p and Bp). It is very complex, and related to the paradox of theology: If everything is solved, we can as well kill ourself. There is no simple solution, and more than one life is not enough. The correct contemplation-level is hard to grasp. But Buddha got it ... allegedly.

Bruno

And, you already know where I am going with this. One night, while dining at a restaurant, a good one, the High Reasoner, meets with an old friend to discuss the new FIFA rules issued for the World Cup. The friend slides over a closed sports magazine. "Have a look at this article in the middle, here." Inside the magazine is a rather thick envelope.