On 12 Nov 2013, at 11:54, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

"So what would you suggest as a replacement? The scientific method is, to paraphrase Winston Churchill on democracy, the worst system we have apart from all the others we've tried."

Following your analogy. when the the media, and the politicians of majority parties form a coalition to defend their own interests, then you can not have access to the information. You are governed by a collection of liars and simulators. There is no democracy.

When the science and their media is dominated by a single coalition united in the mutual interest to increase their budget and they have the communication means of internet to coordinate in this effort, then there is no science.

I propose the separation of science and state.

Yes. And that is what is done normally in a democracy. When science is not separated from politics, you get pseudo-science at the top. In fact you get a religious state. Politicians can consult experts, but have to be careful not taking them too much seriously.

Now, about climate, my opinion, since always, is that we have accessed to only one planet, at least for some time, and so we must avoid any irreversible actions *when* possible.

Henry Ford in the early 1900 explained already that by using hemp in place of steel and oil to make car, we would allow a sustainable economy, while by using oil, we create a larger and larger imbalance. Given the Hemp alternative, we should not have even begun to use oil, or in a more reasonable proportion, and should have continue with Hemp, as we have done the preceding centuries. Of course the oil barons thought differently, and invented the myth that Hemp (cannabis) is a dangerous plant. A myth which has been debunked since the start.

Brent advocates democracy, and I go with him on this. But if their is a climate change, it might be due to the failure of democracy to prevent big corporatist lies.

Bruno