Le 12 nov. 2013 22:53, "meekerdb" <meeke...@verizon.net> a écrit :

> On 11/12/2013 1:37 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

probability of being alive, probability is only meaningful between two
moments...

always decreasing, still in MWI, as there is always a next moment (which
will be as *real* as the previous one), I don't see how ASSA is relevant
for the question.

exist in matter then you can ignore the ASSA.  No need for life insurance.
No concern about global warming.

in front of you and you shoot in your head and if MWI is true, there will
be more branches where you are crippled than where you are perfectly safe
(and a hell of a lot more where you're dead, but *we don't count where
you're not*).

>>> But that's part of what bothers me about this idea.  How
crippled/brain-damaged can you be and still count as a continuation?  Are
there degrees of continuation?

>> As long as you still feel you, that counts.
>>

>>> If so, why can't the degrees asymptote to zero?
>>>

>> It is, reread my previous message, there is a continuum of such
continuations. The one that don't count are the one where nothing is left
from you. I would say also, there is a continuum but by RSSA, nearest
continuation should have higher probability.

depends on the one taking them... I would rationally choose to minimize arm
for me (so as not to put my life in jeopardy), because if MWI is true *and*
with RSSA, me in front on a shotgun, will likely result me being crippled
while not dead with a hell lot more probability than being perfectly safe

classical which implies that your continuations depend on extremely
improbable events

needed for the argument to follow.

>>> "There is a continuation" seems to slough over what counts as a
continuation and whether we should care about it.

>> There is a continuum of continuations, the point is there is, so you
either argue MWI is false, but your argument is pointeless if MWI is true,
that's the way it is.

> Well I'm certainly not dogmatically assuming MWI.  In fact I'm testing
whether it leads to absurdities.

>>> If the only continuations are quite different from what you think of as
Quentin Anciaux, do they still count?

>> The only thing that count is 1st POV...
>

> So *you* Quentin Anciaux (incidentally, how do pronounce that?)

It is pronounced like this :

An like in the end  of restaurant.
Ci like sea.
Aux like oh.

Quentin

don't necessarily continue.  It is just that there is a continuation of 1p
POVs.  So we're down to the question of what constitutes a 1p POV.

>>> And I don't think you can just rely on the continuity of Hilbert space
evolution because the time scale of that evolution can be much faster than
the sequences of conscious thought.  So as far QM goes you could evolve
from Quentin Anciaux to Neo (or to Brent Meeker) in a millisecond.

whole life which led to you being shot, or you discover you are just
participating in a simulation in which you were shot, or you're not really
Quentin Anciaux, or...  Did you read "Divided by Infinity"?

>>> Life insurance I understand, it is for other people that survive you
(in almost all worlds).  But an annuity is for yourself, so that you don't
outlive your savings in your retirement.

>>  So what ?
>

> So if you think you will live much longer than the insurance companies
think you will, you should buy an annuity for your (very) old age.