On 11 Nov 2013, at 20:21, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2013/11/11 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
On 11/11/2013 1:47 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
Sure, but if I live infinitely long I will have almost all my experiences older than 75. So when I note that I'm not that old and that seems improbable,

The thing is as I said is that you have to be *first* 75 before being older... you're talking like every moment of your life was chosen randomly... they aren't (at least for me) before today, it was yesterday, not a random moment, and tomorrow will be tomorrow not a random moment in my life. Using your argument I should never have been a child.

No, I'm just saying that sampling your life at random

Your life is not sampled at random, you have to be one year old before being 75; before being 1000 before being 10¹⁰.

I'm less likely to find you

You find you every day, according to you, every day should not happen, only being 10 ¹ ⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰ is likely, it's just non-sense, your life is not random sampled, yesterday happen before today and before tomorrow. That doesn't make today less likely than tomorrow.

being less than a year old than being less than a thousand years old.

If my life is infinite, then it seems surprising that I find myself less than 75yrs old.

It's not, because it is mandatory that in that long lifespan you find yourself 75. You cannot be very old before having been less old. Your life is sequential and that sequence cannot be avoided, even if you'll live an infinity of time.

I don't think this is a very strong argument, since it would apply no matter what age I found myself to be.

Exactly, it's just ASSA is non-sensical.

But it seems curious that I find it to be true of everyone around me also. As though we all started more or less together. So we weren't past eternal either.

I don't see how QI imples past eternality, it's not mandatory that infinity goes both way, things can have a start without an end.

I will try to add a subtle point here, in some answer to Brent's question. You are correct here, because immortality and the existence of the consistent continuations are relative to your actual state of beliefs, and this one can be captured by a finite computational state), but the measure on those consistent computational extensions is defined by your bodies and evironments, which are defined by the set of all computations going through that state, and this implies an infinity, including an infinity of "pasts" (which might due to the same, or close, universal machines, recurring in the UD* (or arithmetic)(*).
That's why comp immortality implies infinity goes both way.
Put in another way: we have an infinite future above the substitution level (comp-immortality)
We have an infinite past below the substitution level.
Here "we" is somewhat undefined, and this points on the difficulty of the question. I would not like to insist on this too much, as long as much more simpler point are not yet well understood.
More on this will appear probably in further comments.

(*) Comp implies that IF the big bang theory is correct (that is the big bang is the origin of the physical universe we are observing, then, the big bang must have a non observable *physical* origin (like the collision of branes in some string theory for example). In fact it is simple to sum up: comp implies infinities in all directions and scales. This is due to the fact that the 1p results from the competition between *all* universal (and non universal) machines.

Bruno

Quentin