On 12 Nov 2013, at 18:15, meekerdb wrote:

On 11/12/2013 2:37 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Both with Comp and with Everett-QM we have lost that unique theoretical evidence, because our best current explanation (comp, or QM) makes that mind-brain identity non sensical.

I don't see anything about QM that makes "mind is what a brain does" non-sensical.

About QM, I don't know.
I reason assuming comp (once and for all, to avoid repetition).
In comp, mind is associated to a relative computation, in the 3p view. And "my 1p-mind" (what counts for immortality question) is associated to an infinity computations.

Quantum immortality relies on it: QM implies material objects exist as states in Hilbert space which evolve unitarily. If mind and brain are not one-to-one, then your duplication thought experiments don't work as arguments.

I don't see this. The argument assumes only that I will survive with P = 1 in case my brain is replaced by a digital brain. This does not use the one-one identity thesis.

There is a dlight difficulty, which is that at the end of the argument, we know that the P(W) = P(M) = 1/2 is false in practice, it is only 1/2 minus epsilon, as we learn that perfect annihilation is *only* theoretical. In fact

P(W) = P(M) = 1/2 - P(I survive in Helsinki through quantum or comp tunneling effect). = 1/2 - P(H)

Now, if you are not reconstituted in W, nor in M, but still annihilated in H (Helsinki), then

P(H) = 1 (by comp or quantum tunneling effect), and P(M) = P(W) = 0.

(of course, this is still an approximation, as there is non null probability that you will feel in W or M by whatever the UD will make you believe this).