From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:29 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

On 11/14/2013 3:39 PM, LizR wrote:

On 15 November 2013 11:39, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

Telmo and other 'experts':

why does nobody even mention the geothermic energy app - available in huge
Q-s and so far tapped only in (literalily) 'superficial' usage. The high
pressure ultra-clean steam from a deepened modification of the exhausted oil
wells may provide much much more energy than today's needs, so it could
serve as driving force for more than we think by ongoing technology. (E.g.
potable water, agri-irrigation, when fresh-water becomes scarce - like now -
pollution-free transportation, keeping politicians in asylum, etc.) .

I assume you mean geothermal energy. It is used in New Zealand but doesn't
provide as much energy as wind and hydro as far as I know.

It's an option in some parts of the world, certainly, but I would say solar
is more readily available overall.

>> It might blend well with solar.  There have been proposals to store solar
energy by heating underground reservoirs.

Large scale CSPs (concentrating solar (thermal) power) such as the new GW
complex they have built in southern California use molten salt as their
energy carrier. This facility can keep generating electricity well after the
sun has gone down because it stores the hot molten salt (saltpeter I
believe) in insulated vats. This is one of the advantages of large scale
solar thermal has over PV; as soon as the sun is occulted solar PV output
drops precipitously (though newer PV cells that also have band-gaps tuned
for infrared energy would continue to produce some output even when clouds
came overhead, because of the infrared energy.)

There is a lot of money and R&D being thrown at the energy storage problem
and a fair number of utility scale battery types are on the R&D pipeline as
well as some other interesting ideas for energy storage. CSP is unique in
that because it is harvesting heat it can store its energy with the same
energy carrier it uses to harvest the solar energy - i.e. the molten salt.
Wind, PV, etc. need to transform the electricity into another medium (unless
using supercapacitors) in order to store the energy and this invariably
(second law of thermodynamics) entails a process loss - and in both
directions.

Most electricity storage - and by a huge margin - is accomplished by pumped
storage. Japan, in particular leads in this area. But traditional pumped
storage suffers from siting issues. I have looked at some novel pumped
storage proposals that instead bore deep cylinders with a moving and very
massive (heavy) piston. The system would have a low pressure upper reservoir
and a high pressure lower reservoir below the piston. To draw energy down
water from the high pressure reservoir is run through a turbine to generate
electricity and flows into the spent reservoir above the piston (which
descends towards the bottom of the cylinder); to re-charge the "battery"
electricity is consumed to run the generator/turbine in reverse and pump the
water (or other working fluid) from the low pressure reservoir, back into
the high pressure one. Air pressure is also used (Alabama).

Chris