From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of spudboy...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 5:20 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

>>Please understand, that unless your geothermal is really good, people will
successfully complain about earthquakes caused by geothermal energy, bath in
Basel, and Bavaria, if I remember right? Plus, the replacement tech that are
proposed, must provide terawatts of energy, to replace the dirty. Hot rock
geothermal, really deep geothermal, might solve all this, and instead of
water as a working fluid to provide super-heated steam to run turbines, a
working fluid like propane or methane has been proposed, or even air. The
carbon fuels are captured over and over again for re-use. How costly, this
is, how environmental, how technically doable-I don't know.

Funny how the very same type of earthquake, that is triggered by hydraulic
fracking - which is what you are referring to in Basel (and similar events
also shut down a dry rock geothermal pilot in northern California)  -- is
now becoming widely used  in order to squeeze gas and kerogen from the shale
rock. It still causes the 4 to 5 on the Reichter scale tremors, but this has
not shut down that sector or even slowed things down. There is a kind of
earthquake double standard going on.

Dry rock geothermal - which is what you are referring to - is the creation
of (or enhancement of existing fields) geothermal reservoirs in hot bedrock
- miles down below - through the process of hydraulic fracking ( injecting
water slurry mixed with poppants (sand or manufactured ceramic beads) - the
gas/shale oil secotr adds a whole slew of chemicals to this slurry such as
solvents and surficants in order to try to chemically separate the kerogen
and get it flowing.

In theory dry rock geothermal could supply base load power in very large
quantities in numerous locales on earth - the underlying geologies are quite
common. However - except it seems when caused by the oil & gas sector -
people react very poorly to man-made earthquakes, and this poses a real
problem. I would suggest they pilot this technology in remotely populated
areas first to see if they can find ways to release the underlying stresses
in a more gradual manner for example by changing how the hydraulic fracking
process is done.

The potential for this is huge, but the technological problems are also
huge. As the shale oil and gas drillers are finding out a fracked reservoir
will begin to seal back up and the flows will gum up as salts and other
deposits infill the micro-cracks, and I imagine as the sheer weight of the
overburden re-compresses these fissures - slowly crushing the poppants
holding them open.

For dry rock geothermal as well a fracked reservoir will get used up over
time - eventually it will replenish as new heat flows in to the reservoir;
after some years new reservoirs will need to be fracked.

Chris