From: Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Nov 15, 2013 9:21 pm
Subject: RE: Our Demon-Haunted World

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of spudboy...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 5:20 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com

>>Please understand, that unless your geothermal is really good, people will
>>successfully complain about earthquakes caused by geothermal energy, bath in
>>Basel, and Bavaria, if I remember right? Plus, the replacement tech that are
>>proposed, must provide terawatts of energy, to replace the dirty. Hot rock
>>geothermal, really deep geothermal, might solve all this, and instead of
>>water as a working fluid to provide super-heated steam to run turbines, a
>>working fluid like propane or methane has been proposed, or even air. The
>>carbon fuels are captured over and over again for re-use. How costly, this
>>is, how environmental, how technically doable-I don't know.

Funny how the very same type of earthquake, that is triggered by hydraulic
fracking – which is what you are referring to in Basel (and similar events also
shut down a dry rock geothermal pilot in northern California)  -- is now
becoming widely used  in order to squeeze gas and kerogen from the shale rock.
It still causes the 4 to 5 on the Reichter scale tremors, but this has not shut
down that sector or even slowed things down. There is a kind of earthquake
double standard going on.
Dry rock geothermal – which is what you are referring to – is the creation of
(or enhancement of existing fields) geothermal reservoirs in hot bedrock –
miles down below – through the process of hydraulic fracking ( injecting water
slurry mixed with poppants (sand or manufactured ceramic beads) – the gas/shale
oil secotr adds a whole slew of chemicals to this slurry such as solvents and
surficants in order to try to chemically separate the kerogen and get it
flowing.
In theory dry rock geothermal could supply base load power in very large
quantities in numerous locales on earth – the underlying geologies are quite
common. However – except it seems when caused by the oil & gas sector – people
react very poorly to man-made earthquakes, and this poses a real problem. I
would suggest they pilot this technology in remotely populated areas first to
see if they can find ways to release the underlying stresses in a more gradual
manner for example by changing how the hydraulic fracking process is done.
The potential for this is huge, but the technological problems are also huge.
As the shale oil and gas drillers are finding out a fracked reservoir will
begin to seal back up and the flows will gum up as salts and other deposits
infill the micro-cracks, and I imagine as the sheer weight of the overburden
re-compresses these fissures – slowly crushing the poppants holding them open.
For dry rock geothermal as well a fracked reservoir will get used up over time
– eventually it will replenish as new heat flows in to the reservoir; after
some years new reservoirs will need to be fracked.
Chris