From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of spudboy...@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:25 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

Ok, but I am not hostile at all to geothermal, especially if these quakes
are very minor ones. This is also true, for me, with fracking nat gas. I am
real ok with this. I would sign on the dotted line regarding solar, if I can
be assured that Solar can and will power all of civilization's needs at the
Terawatt level? I know that years ago, Freeman Dyson guessed that the Sun
produced 33 Trillion times, in one second, what human energy use produces in
one year. I am not against anything that will save us. I am against empty
promises whether they be nuclear, or solar. The clean must work, or its
virtually, useless. If people insist on new, clean, energy, then they must
produce the solutions. Hence, I say, faster, please.

Look at the moving average for the growth of solar PV over the last three
decades; it has more or less kept to a breakneck speed of growth and over
the last decade has increased by a factor of 20 times. The global solar PV
deployed capacity is nearing 50GW right now. Of course there is not a one to
one relationship of capacity to the actual ability to output onto the grid -
so applying a 20% factor to this capacity figure gives a more apples to
apples comparison to say a nuclear power plants capacity figure. Even doing
this kind of correction that means that the currently deployed solar PV
capacity is the equivalent of ten one GW thermal electric power plants.

If the solar PV sector continues to grow at the pace it has historically
been growing at for the last thirty years then in another decade the
deployed capacity will start to close in on the TW scale - or an equivalent
continuous output of 200 one GW power plants (this is factoring all the
variability of solar and counting its capacity at just one fifth of its
rated value). In twenty years - if it holds to the historic growth factor
the global deployed capacity of solar PV will be 20TW. At some point this
growth has to peak - but every time in the past when it has been said that
it would bottleneck on this or that - critical supply or process -- and that
the growth rate would slow - this has failed to materialize and the growth
rate has proceeded apace.

How big can solar PV scale? Some mention peak silicon, but lower grade
supplies are plentiful, and other non-silicon so called thin film PV
technologies also exist (some of which can scale, others - like the those
that rely on telluride -- not so much)

Does anyone see any fundamental reasons why the silicon PV sector cannot
scale out to the TW scale?

Chris