On 24 Nov 2013, at 17:02, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

Do you think that Conway's Game of Life and this new app, speak to the notion that we ourselves might be living within a cellular automata (more of a Von Newmann thing then Conway)??

Conway's game of life is (Turing) Universal, so it can emulate anything Turing emulable. It is one of the many equivalent to arithmetic or quantum topology, with respect to the class of computable functions (from N to N).

I prefer not to start from it, as it is less known than numbers, but also because it borrows already some quasi-physical intuition, like the digital two dimensional plane, which I think has itself a deeper origin.

But to model diffusion process, and many things, cellular automata are quite nice. Yet, for the fundamental inquiry, once we assume comp, we cannot favor one UM on any other at the start. If some special UM plays a special role, this has to be justified from the infinite competition between all UMs below our substitution level.

Bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Sent: Sat, Nov 23, 2013 11:06 pm
Subject: Fwd: Geminoid replicator

 From another list:  Conway's life not only lives - now it can evolve.

Brent

-------- Original Message --------

Dave Green has put together a replicator for Conway Life.
He has several versions.  The smallest, fastest, has a
bounding box of 3.7M^2, and takes 89M ticks to make a copy.
If I'm reading his description correctly, the population of ON
cells is 150K, most of which is information-carrying gliders.

Rich