On 28 Nov 2013, at 12:12, Roger Clough wrote:

Perception and consciousness according to  Leibniz-

The secret of perception. Particular minds and how they relate to the overall or Cosmic Mind

The problem of perception in materialistic thinking is that it forces us to
think that there is a fleshly homunculus

Leibniz has a more complicated understanding of particular minds and how they relate to Cosmic Mind.

In Leibniz's metaphysics, there is only one mind (the Perceiver or Cosmic Mind or God) that perceives and acts, doing this through the Surpreme (most dominant) monad.
It perceives the whole universe with perfect clarity.

That's consistent with comp.

(careful by Gödel, we know that consistency is cheap. "proving the false in PA" is consistent in PA. So there is a gap between consistency and truth).

let us try: God = arithmetical-truth Then it can act, in some sense, through the universal machines. It cannot perceives the whole universe with perfect clarity, but can perceive arbitrarily large parts of it.

Only it can perceive and act, because its monads (which includes our minds) have no windows.

That's weird. In my image, all monads (programs, machines, relative numbers) *are* sort of window.

The monads (our minds) perceive only indirectly, as the Supreme Monad is the only --what we would call-- "conscious" mind. We only think and perceive indirectly,
as the Supreme Monad continually and instantly updates its universe of
monads. Thus there is no problem communing with God (the Cosmic Mind)
as we do so continually and necessarily, although only aqccording to our own abilities
and perspective.

OK. There are many techniques, and being alive is not a bad beginning.

That we ourselves, not God, appear to be the perceiver is thus only apparent.

Unless we are God. OK? (just amnesic, incognito, sleepy, etc.)

Also, because Cosmic Mind sees the entire universe as viewed by a kaleidoscope of individual monads, the perceptions it returns to us contains not only what we see (the universe from our own individual perspectives) but what the perceptions of all of the other monads. Thus each monad knows everything in the universe, but only from its own perspective, and monads being monads,
not perfectly clear but distorted.

OK. That makes sense with computationalism, God = Arithmetical-Truth, monads are the body/machines/local-representations/relative-numbers/ programs. The supreme monad = the universal number (or language, that Leibniz missed, but was very close). Then, with the Theaetetus' knower (Bp & p), what you say can make sense.

Keep in mind, Roger, that with mechanism (thought = computations), even weak-materialism (the idea that that matter exists in some primitive way, or the idea that we have to assume matter) is inconsistent (with the usual Occam, without which "science" has basically no meaning to me).

God created the natural numbers, all the rest is a self-organizing multi-user video-dream, with many participants, not all being machines. There is a nice mathematics making this comparable with physics, so we can test that theology.

At first sight, it is completely crazy, but the question is: is it as much crazy as the quantum reality?