On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 4:57 AM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > if GR requires dark matter to work, and if we can't observe dark matter,
>> > doesn't this mean that GR is falsified?
>

> If Dark Matter really isn't there then that would indeed falsify General
> Relativity; but the theory that Dark Matter really isn't there is itself
> falsified by observations of the Bullet Cluster.
>
>   John K Clark

Thanks John, and also Richard, Brent and Liz.

I know my questions are very naive, but the following occurs to me
(and I'm sure this has been debated to death by physicists): why is it
assumed that this phenomena is caused by some type of matter? As far
as I understand, QM hasn't been reconciled with GR gravity. Isn't this
+ dark matter a sign that there's something fundamental we don't
understand yet? Or maybe this is the sense in which "dark matter" is
already used, and I'm worrying too much about the word "matter"...

Telmo.