The heat is measured in terms of energy. and this energy is proportional to
the agitation of the particles. But a single particle moves. It is not
"hot". it´s energy is 1/2 m v2: Its cinetic energy.  when you have zillions
of particles of a gas or a liquiid or a solid in a recipient, it has heat
proportional to the mean cinetic energy of these particles by a constant
discovered by Boltzman. He used ordinary statistics to derive it. That was
the foundation of statistical mechanics. Entropy is also a macroscopical
magnitude, like heat. there is a statistical way to calculate entrophy by
calculating in which way we can arrange N particules in different speeds
and positions compatible with each observable macroscopical state. that is
called the partition function.

Leonard Susskind has lectures on statistical mechanics and explain all of
this.

Alberto.