On 12/10/2013 7:42 PM, LizR wrote:
On 11 December 2013 10:24, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 12/10/2013 11:54 AM, John Clark wrote:
    On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
<mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>>
    wrote:

         > One needs a rigorous definition of what consciousness is, to start
with,

    Examples are usually preferable to definitions.

        > and then a theory that explains all its observed features, and makes
testable
        predictions.

    But that's the beauty of consciousness theories, we can detect
consciousness only
    in ourselves so there are no observed features that a consciousness theory
must
    explain,

    Actually there are some observed features.  A sharp blow to the head can
create a
    gap in ones consciousness. Imbibing various substances that can cross the
    blood/brain barrier have somewhat predictable effects. Localized electrical
    stimulation of the brain produces repeatable effects, both in consciousness
and somatic.

If you're assuming there is more to consciousness than the sum of our thoughts, experiences, memories, etc - then this /may/ be a description of features of the contents of consciousness, rather than of the thing itself.

?? Are you speculating that there are parts of consciousness we're not
conscious of?