On 12/20/2013 10:50 AM, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > Do you agree that after turning this computer on, and letting it run for
a long
    enough time (eternity let's say), there is a 100% chance John Clark will
    find himself in this computer

Yes, in fact it may have already happened.

        >> That would only be true if everything that could exist does exist,
and maybe
        that's the way things are but it is not obviously true.

    >It doesn't require that everything to exist, it requires only one
    program to exist: the universal dovetailer.  This program and its execution
    within mathematics.

I'm pretty confident that such a program exists within mathematics, but I am far less confident that a computer to run it on also exists at that same level of reality; I'm not saying it doesn't, maybe it does, but I don't know it for a fact. With today's emphasis on software sometimes we forget that a program is useless without hardware to run it on.

    > For example, it is a true statement that the state of this program after
    10^100th step of its computation has some particular value X, and it is
also a true
    statement that the 10^100 + 1 step has some other particular value Y. It is
also a
    true statement that the program corresponding to the emulation of the wave
    for the Milky Way Galaxy contains John Clark and this particular John Clark
    he is conscious and alive and sitting in front of a computer in a physical

For that you don't need to bring in Everett or Quantum Mechanics or virtual worlds or dovetailing or computers, all you need are the 19'th century ideas of Ludwig Boltzmann. There are a gargantuan number of ways the atoms in my 200 pound body could be organized, but there are not a infinite number, therefore if the universe is spatially infinite 10^1000 light years away (give or take a few hundred thousand million billion trillion) there can be no doubt that John Clark is typing a post to the Everything list about Boltzmann's idea.

And thinking the same thoughts...in which case it's the same John Clark...until some difference occurs.