Stephen,

A very important point which I cover extensively in my book, but rather subtle
to grasp.

Reality clearly exists. There is something really here now and actual and
happening. The totality of that is defined as reality and I refer to its
'stuff' (non-physical but real and actual) as an entity I call 'ontological
energy'. It is somewhat similar to the ancient concept of Tao.

This ontological energy is originally formless, similar to a generalized
quantum vacuum, and contains the possibilities of all information forms which
can arise within it. Similar to a formless sea of water whose nature determines
what forms of waves, currents and ripples which can arise within it.

The universe, at its fundamental level, is all the information forms that are
actualized within ontological energy, beginning with the big bang, and which
continue to evolve according to the laws of nature (the logico-mathematics of
reality which we have been discussing).

Thus the complete picture of reality consists of the original formless sea
(logical space) of ontological energy and all the evolving forms which exist
within it. These forms, everything in the universe, are pure information only
and have no self-substances other than the ontological energy in which they
arise. Just as the self-substances of all wave forms in water is only water.

Now to answer your question, it is the fact that the information forms are
forms that exist in the sea of reality (the ontological energy) that makes them
real and actual, and the fact that happening is one of the fundamental aspects
of ontological energy that gives them the fire of life as they continually
computationally evolve to manifest the real actual universe. This is why the
information structures of reality are real and actual but those of computer
software simulating something is not, because they run in reality rather than
some silicon computer....

The universe can/must be considered a living entity in the sense that it is
self-animated from within. There is no external force that moves it and there
could not be since by definition it includes everything. Therefore the universe
is a living entity, and our life and the life of all things comes from the fact
that we are information forms, programs, that run within reality.

This is the source of the 'fire' that animates the information....

Edgar