All,

I'll present a brief overview of my theory of consciousness from my book on
Reality here. If anyone is interested I can elaborate.

To understand consciousness we first must clearly distinguish between
consciousness ITSELF and the contents of consciousness that become
conscious by appearing within consciousness itself.

The nature of consciousness itself, why things seem conscious, is the
subject of Chalmer's 'Hard Problem', whereas the various structures of the
contents of consciousness are the so called 'Easy Problems', the subjects
of the study of mind.

Chalmer's formulation of the Hard Problem is 'How does consciousness arise
from a physical brain?' Let's generalized this a little to 'How does
consciousness arise from a physical world?'

The key to the solution is understanding that the world is not 'physical'
in the sense assumed. It is not a passive clockwork Newtonian world that
just sits there waiting to be brought into consciousness by an observer. In
fact the notion of observation is intrinsic to reality itself in a manner
that reality actively manifests most of the defining attributes of reality
on its own and all the conscious observer adds is participation in that
process from a particular locus with a particular computational nformation
structure.

I'll explain how this works though the theory is subtle and requires some
work, and there is a lot to it I don't cover here.

In ancient times there was an extramission (emission) theory of vision,
that objects were seen because the eyes shown light on them. Today we still
have the functionally identical emission theory of consciousness, that
things become conscious because mind somehow shines consciousness on them.

Both theories are wrong. Things are conscious because reality continually
SELF-MANIFESTS itself. It continually computes itself into existence, and
existence self-manifests. It is immanent because it is actually real, and
actually present, and has actual being. This is what I call Ontological
Energy (OE). Things are really really real, they are really actually there,
and consciousness just opens its 'eyes' and participates in this reality.
Rather than the mind shining consciousness onto things, things manifest
their actual reality, their actual real presence in reality, to whatever
interacts with them, including human brains.

The only thing an individual observer brings to consciousness is an
interaction with reality from a particular location, and an interaction
with the information contents of consciousness filtered through its own
perceptual cognitive structure.

Thus consciousness itself is simply the immanent actual real presence of
reality, whereas the information structures of the contents of conscious
are due to information computations of the brain interacting with
information from external reality.

This is the best, most convincing theory of consciousness of which I'm
aware. But like most of my theories it requires a big paradigm shift in
understanding since it's a completely new interpretation of reality.

Best,
Edgar