On 10 Jan 2014, at 02:16, LizR wrote:

On 10 January 2014 14:01, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:
Stephen,

There is no "single observer that can take in all events...". I never said that and don't believe it.

However there has to be a single universal processor cycling for a computational universe to work. That single universal processor cycle is the present moment P-time. All computations occur simultaneously as these cycles occur. All individual observers, clock times etc. occur and are computed within this actual extant presence of the computational space of reality.

There has to be a single processor computing the state of the universe?!

I know that's possible in principle, what with the C-T thesis and all that,

I don't think that there can be a single or multiple processor computing "the state of the universe". In fact there is no such universe. The universe is an appearance emerging, from below the substitution level, on all computations going through our current state. A single computation can hardly do that a priori, although this is not excluded, but this would lead to a newtonian-like type of reality. Everett confirms that such a computation cannot be unique, which is the default stance in the comp theory, although we cannot avoid at this stage some possible conspiracy by numbers leading to a unique computable reality.

Bruno

but it's a bit of a limitation to put on your ideas. (Or maybe it has 10^80 cores? :-)