Dear Edgar,

  There is another way to get particle property conservation: Particles
that happen to have the same properties have a symmetry that is unique to
QM: the exchange symmetry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_interaction>.
Study it carefully. :-)

  This symmetry does not require a singular collection of properties to be
"dimensional" or "inherently existing". It just says that if a pair of
particles are indistinguishable (for some observer!) there will exist a
variation in the wavefunction of the system made of the combined pair. If
that variation is of a positive character, the particles will be Bosons
(relative to each other). If the variation is of a negative character, the
particles will be Fermions (relative to each other).

   There are other possible variances that I will not get into, but the
upshot of this symmetry is that it acts to group particles that have the
same properties into groups and it can be argued that charge, spin and mass
properties flow from that grouping. There is no need for an external
computational space or system to do the job.

  I do agree a little bit with this that your wrote:

"But this, like all aspects of the classical 'physical' world, is actually
a computational illusion. This classical spacetime doesn't actually exist.
It must be continually maintained by myriads of continuing quantum events
or it instantly vanishes back into the computational reality from which it
emerged."

  But for other reasons. Any illusion that there exists a classical
'physics' world out there that we are somehow floating in is a figment of
our imaginations. The universe is KNOWN to not be classical. Can we bury
that corpse already?

  OTOH, I do agree that space-time is a construction that could be
considered as you describe: "continually maintained by myriads of
continuing quantum events" If the quantum interaction process ends, the
particular events vanish. What we observe as space-time is merely the
photons that carry the information about the events and so we have an
illusion of persistence of events that could lead one to imagine that there
exists a global present moment.

  What is interesting is that the evolution of the phase of a QM system IS
a computation in the sense that it is a transformation of information! WE
do get something like a computational system that is generating space-time
and all events in it, but if we treat it as a single computer time
vanishes. This is known from study of the Wheeler-DeWitt equation: H=0.

  We can obtain a universe where any observer will have the experience of
time IF and only IF we do not use a single wave function for the universe
and thus do not require a single computer to perform the computation. We
can associate separate QM wave functions to each and every point of the
space-time manifold and use the evolution of the phase of these as the
local clock of those points on the manifold.
   We end up with an infinite number of computers generating space-time,
not one.

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher