On 17 Jan 2014, at 02:05, LizR wrote:

I just can't imagine how a programme could imitate a person convincingly for a long time without being conscious.

Just a question: when we dream of people, we attribute consciousness to the people at the time we dream, in the dream. They can be very convincing. Are not those people sort of zombies? Is that not at least conceivable? In that case you can imagine how a program (your brain) imitate person convincingly for some time.

Or do you think those dreamed people are necessarily conscious subpart of your self?