On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/17/2014 5:40 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  But apparently the brain has a lot to do with those computations in
>> Platonia, c.f. anesthetic.  Notice that I'm not a disciple of Platonia.
>>

>  Me neither, I am agnostic - but within comp it is assumed, so while
> discussing comp we have to assume it (unless we're rejecting comp on that
> basis). But I can see that Platonia makes sense in that 17 does seem to be
> prime idependently of you and me and everyone else, which is (I'm told)
> enough for the whole shebang to come into some sort of existence.
>

> I don't think you have to buy the equivalence between (17 is prime) is
> true and (17 is prime) exists.

No, but all statements about programs can be translated into truth
statements about the natural numbers. So you could say "Program X is
conscious of the information Y" is a true statement, and that truth implies
that the conscious thought of X exists. (Just as the primeness of 17
implies two factors of 17 exist).

Jason