On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 02:48:53PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dare Jason,
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So why can't zombies have intentions? Remember the only thing zombies
> > supposedly lack is qualia. If a zombie is hungry and goes out to buy a
> > burger, I would say it had an intention to fill its stomach.
> >
> Intentions require self-models. Zombies by definition cannot have
> self-models otherwise they would have first person experience. My point is
> that I am claiming that self-models are, content-wise, the same as first
> person experience. 1-p is, after all what we are considering that a zombie
> does not have, so how can it have intentionality? It has no object to whom
> the intention obtains, thus no intentionality.

I don't see the obviousness in "Zombies by definition cannot have
self-models otherwise they would have first person experience". The
presence of a self model is something that is objectively verifiable,
by albeit rather intrusive neurophysiological means. Your statement
would entail a physical difference between a zombie and a non-zombie,
whereas, conventionally a p-zombie is physically indistinguishable
from the conscious person.

Principal, High Performance Coders