On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:11:23 PM UTC, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

> [...]
> physical objects along with that expansion. If that were true nothing there
> would be no red shift and there would be no particle horizon beyond which
> the expansion of space carries galaxies so they can no longer be observed.
>
> Things move both IN space and WITH the expansion of space. Things moving
> with the expansion of space red shifts them, things moving RELATIVE TO the
> expansion of space gives variations of red and blue shifts for objects at
> the same distances in expanding space.
>
> The expansion of space occurs only in intergalactic space, but the space
> within galaxies, solar systems, etc. is gravitationally bound and is not
> expanding. Refer to Misner, Thorne and Wheeler's 'Gravitation' if you don't
> believe me....
>
> Our solar system is not expanding due to the Hubble expansion because it
> is gravitationally bound... If it was you'd have a violation of the laws of
> orbital motion.
>
> Therefore there must be a space warping at the boundaries of galaxies
> which must produce a significant gravitational effect over time which could
> explain the dark matter effect....
>
> Edgar
>

> On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:11:25 PM UTC-5, ghi...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:22:34 PM UTC, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
>>>
>>> PIerz,
>>>
>>> No, you are wrong here. Space doesn't expand around objects without the
>>> objects moving along with it. The positions of objects are positions IN
>>> space. Thus there is not a smooth expansion but the warping around galaxies
>>> I've pointed out.
>>>
>>> If you were correct the Hubble expansion of space wouldn't carry far
>>> galaxies along with it and redshift them.
>>>
>>> You are simply wrong here. Please remember that the next time you accuse
>>> me of being wrong about something!
>>>
>>> Edgar
>>>

>> Edgar, the opposite is true. The hubble effect is constant if the
>> comparison is between any two pairs of adjacent galaxies, one pair compared
>> to the other, obviously controlling for distance between them. It's
>> constant in that sense whether or not the overall effect is accelerating as
>> it is at the moment.
>>
>> If the galaxies are independently moving in space, the distance to
>> adjacent galaxies is changing, and has to be controlled for, to keep that
>> constant effect.
>>
>> If you skip a galaxy and want the rate of expansion between a galaxy and
>> the second galaxy along, then you have to add the two adjacent rates
>> together, controlling for changes in distance caused by independent
>> movement of galaxies in space. If you want the next galaxy after that, it's
>> adding 3 adjacent values.
>>
>> This is why the hubble rate can keep on going, passing the speed of light
>> barrier, and forever onward and upward. Because, and precisely because,
>> it's not generated by a physical translation in space.

As mentionesd in the last post, large gradients are already in place around
galaxies, this this probably the boundary that forbids your idea from
breaking as a causality in the first place.

Other than that the distinctions you make for redshift so on, definitely
puts us both on the page as regarding to that, and correctly redirectly my
ire to the other guy :O)