On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> >> the external objective environment (the weather, a syringe full of
> drugs, a punch to the face) can cause a big subjective change.
>
> > I have no doubt that this is true. The point is that IF you have a
> complete 3p theory of the brain-body, you can't prove that the subjective
> experience exist.

I don't need a proof because I have something better, I have direct
experience of the subjective. I don't have direct experience of YOUR
conscious experience because it is a logical contradiction, if I did have
it you wouldn't be you, you'd be me.

> And a subjective experience like a itch can cause a external objective
>> effect, like moving the matter in your hand to scratch the matter in your
>> nose.
>>

>Sure. But again, if someone does not believe in that subjective
> experience, then a  3p causal description at some level will explain the
> external objective effect without mentioning the subjective experience. I
> agree with you of course, but that is what makes a part of the problem.

Problem? What's the problem? If I do not believe in your subjective
experience, as you say above, then I certainly don't need to explain it.
And if I do believe in your subjective experience then I can say it was
caused by the way matter interacts (which can be fully described by
information) just as I already know from direct experience that my
subjective experience is caused. And if I also believe that consciousness
is fundamental, that is to say a sequence of "What caused that?" questions
is not infinite and consciousness comes at the end, then there is nothing
more that can be said on the subject.

>>> be localized in one brain,

> > Excellent. Like the numbers. They don't belong to the type of object
> having any physical attributes like position, velocity or mass.

And position not being relevant to consciousness is the reason your
increasingly convoluted thought experiment about where the "real you" is
located is worthless.

  John K Clark