On 2/2/2014 1:44 AM, LizR wrote:
Someone asked how a block universe "comes to exist" and if it comes into existence "all at once, or a bit at a time" (or something like that).

I wish I could find the original question, to make sure exactly what it was. But I haven't managed to find it, and I can't spend all night trawling the forum for it, so I will just put my take on the matter here.

Assuming I've got it right, this seems to me a rather odd question. Asking how a block universe comes into existence presupposes that this is a process that must happen within a time stream.

I can imagine a semi-block universe in which, as you've often remarked, the past is a block and the universe keeps adding new moments and growing. This would be like Barbour's time capsules, except just sticking everything into one capsule, like a history book that keeps adding pages. But yes it implies another exterior "time" in which this "happens"; but then so does Bruno's UD.

My point is that we needn't take these models seriously. We just use them to try to picture things.