On Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:32:35 PM UTC-5, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

> Craig,
>
> I agree with your idea in one sense, that actually space and clock time
> are just computational relationships between events, specifically the
> dimensional aspects of those events, rather than the actual physical
> background to events that is usually assumed.
>
> In my book on Reality, I point out the reasons why it's more reasonable to
> assume that spaceclocktime is something that arises out of elemental
> computational events in discrete fragments, rather than existing as a
> fixed, pre-existing background to events.

I agree, except that I see elemental computation also as something that
arises out of even more primitive sensory-motive qualities disentangling
into localized fugues which precede even qualities of discreteness or
linear sequence.

> The advantage of this approach is that it enables a conceptual unification
> of quantum theory and GR; immediately resolves all quantum paradoxes (which
> are paradoxical only with respect to the fixed, pre-existing background
> space mistakenly assumed); and provides a clear explanation of the source
> and necessity of quantum randomness.
>

> Strangely no one here seems interested in how this happens, even to
> criticize it!

Yes, I am very familiar with the feeling ;)  I have only a superficial
understanding of QT and GR, so I wouldn't be the one to criticize
technically. My objection is only that whatever primordial form or function
can be conceived of as absolute must supervene on an even more primordial
possibility of aesthetic appreciation and intentional participation.

Craig