Its only a pipe dream if it doesn't work. Its all lies and exaggeration if a
technology if it does not. For decades, people all over the world have worked
on energy systems to replace the "dirty" sources that we have trouble with,
regarding air and water contamination. Many progressive billionaires and their
kept politicians have promoted solar, but it cannot yet power a single city on
Earth. I am not saying this is impossible, but the means of affordably making
and storing electricity, is not enough to power, say, even one quarter of
Auckland, for example. There are always articles on technical improvements, and
I totally support all R&D, but if we cannot supply large cities with
electricity on a 7 x 24 x 365 basis, and until solar can, its a crock. The
problem is the progressives world wide, as an ideology, want solar to be the
source-whether it supplies power of not. This, is a totalitarian quality, and
as such, is civilizational threatening.

One thing, possibly worth considering, are reactors based on Canadian Slowpoke
reactors, used for basic research. They supply small amounts of kilowatts, so
we'd need lots of them, and what the money cost would be is unknown by ignorant
me. I do know that these are fail safe in operation. I don't know if they can
be used as a target for terrorists, teenagers, criminals, etc. What I have seen
is that they could be buried in steel reinforced concrete, and made
inaccessible. Would this make it all too expensive? Possibly.  If solar can't
and uranium or thorium should not be for safety issues, then where else can we
turn? Certainly shale gas, and possibly methane hydrates, which exist in
amounts, should we dare go after it, would be enough energy to supply our
species for 2000-10000 years. There is the methane release issue involved with
this.

My sense of things is that it is not AGW we should fear, or it's dishonest,
descendent, Climate Change, but our true enemies,  pollution, and energy
starvation. Think, the 80's Road Warrior scenario. Easier to watch then to
live, I reckon.