On 25 Mar 2014, at 03:02, LizR wrote:

Thank you for the above, for my diary!

On 24 March 2014 20:14, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
New exercise:

show

(W,R) respects A -> []<>A
iff
R is symmetrical.

OK, symmetrical means for all a and b, a R b implies b R a.

A -> []<>A can (I hope) be read as "the truth of A in one particular world (which I will call this world) implies that for all worlds accessible from this world, there exists at least one world in which A is true".

I was about to write that you did that error again, but looking twice, I saw you are entirely correct, OK.

Well, there is indeed one world accessible from those other worlds, in which A is true - this one! Because all worlds accessible from this one can access this world (due to symmetry) and in this world A is true.

Excellent.

You proved that

If R is symmetrical then  (W, R) respects A -> []<>A.

What about finishing the work and prove the reciprocal? Hmm... Please look at the iff in the quoted quote above.

You should still show that

if (W, R) respects A -> []<>A then R is symmetrical.

The mere fact that A -> []<>A is true in all worlds, whatever the valuation is, imposes the symmetry for the binary accessibility.

To show that, you can reason by absurdum. You imagine that (W, R) respects A -> []<>A, and you consider that R is not symmetrical. Then you have to find a valuation leading to a counterexample, a world in which A is true and []<>A is false.

Let me do it, so that you can rest after the good work :)

*

If (W, R) is not symmetrical, there is two worlds a and b so that a R b, and ~(b R a). OK?

Let us choose the valuation V which assign 0 to p in all the worlds accessible from beta.

Well, but then if p is true in alpha, []<>p is true in alpha (as we assume that (W, R) respects A -> []<>A). But then <>p must be true in beta, OK?
But beta accesses only to worlds with p false. Contradiction.

We say that the illuminated multiverse (W, R)
with W = {a, b, c},
together with the non symmetrical relation explicitly defined by aRb, bRc. (so we have 'not bRa'), together with the valuation: p true in a, and false in c, constitutes a counterexample, to the idea here that a (W,R) with R non symmetrical can respect A -> []<>A. Indeed, in that illuminated multiverse the assymmetry break makes it possible to break the law, and in the world a p is verified and []<>p is not contradicting the "law" A -> []<>A.

All right?

Bruno

PS I send this to FOAR as this is part of an answer to his question, and a key (albeit tiny) part of the derivation of the "physical laws", notably giving clues on the reversibility on the bottom of the domain of indeterminacy ( the true sigma_1 sentences).