On 3/25/2014 6:57 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 26 March 2014 12:55, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com <mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>>
wrote:

    On 26 March 2014 14:50, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com
    <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On 26 March 2014 12:45, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
        <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

            On 3/25/2014 6:34 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

            On 26 March 2014 12:15, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
            <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

                    An infinite universe (Tegmark type 1) implies that our
                    consciousness flits about from one copy of us to another
and that
                    as a consequence we are immortal, so it does affect us even
if
                    there is no physical communication between its distant
parts.

                That seems to imply that one's consciousness is unique and
moves around
                like a soul.

            There's no dodgy metaphysical mechanism involved. If there are
multiple
            physical copies of you, and each copy has a similar consciousness
to you,
            then you can't know which copy is currently generating your
consciousness.

                I think the idea is that the "stream of consciousness" is
unified so
                long as all the copies are being realized identically, in fact
they are
                not "multiple" per Leibniz's identity of indiscernibles. When
there is
                some quantum event amplified enough to make a difference in the
stream
                of consciousness then the stream divides and there are two (or
more)
                streams.

            An implication of this is that if one of the streams terminates your
            consciousness will continue in the other.

            But it will, at best be *similar* to the deceased "you", just as I
am quite
            different from Brent Meeker of 50yrs ago.  And there is no
quarantee that
            some stream will continue.

        Similar is good enough. There is a guarantee that some branch will
continue if
        everything that can happen does happen.

    Surely in an infinite universe, and assuming the identity of quantum
states, you
    don't need similarity - you will get a quantum state that is a follow-on
from your
    previous one, but in which you continue to be alive...

    Of course this depends on what it means for quantum states to follow on
from other
    ones. But our brains already seem to "know" what that means, in that we
feel we're
    the same person we were this morning, and so we feel continuity of "similar
enough"
    quantum states. Unless QM is wrong about the nature of quantum states, we
will feel
    continuity if the "follow on" state is actually 10 ^ 10 ^ 100 light years
away (or
    10 ^ 10 ^ 100 years away) from the preceeding state.

I agree but I don't think you need to refer to QM at all. The conclusion would still follow in a classical infinite universe.

Probably not since classical physics is based on real numbers (and so is quantum mechanics for that matter). Of course you could still fall back on "similar enough". But in that case you will, as you are dying, pass into a state of consciousness (i.e. none) that is "similar enough" to a fetus (of some animal) or maybe a cabbage.