On Sunday, June 15, 2014 4:14:37 PM UTC+1, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Kim Jones <kimj...@ozemail.com.au
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>  >> On the other hand there is no harder job in the world than being a
>>> intelligence theorist, but at least if you happen to stumble upon the
>>> correct intelligence theory the fact that you've suddenly become the
>>> world's first trillionaire is a pretty good hint that your theory is on the
>>> right track.
>>>

> > That guy was Edward de Bono. He was the first one to say that
>> intelligence is the horsepower of the car whereas thinking ability is the
>> skill with which the car is driven.
>

> If that's Edward de Bono's "theory" of intelligence then he might be able
> to get a job in a fortune cookie factory but not at Google or Apple or
> Microsoft, it explains nothing about why some things are intelligent and
> some things are not, it doesn't say a word about how intelligence actually
> works. And that's why Mr. de Bono is not a trillionaire. When a person (or
> more likely a machine) comes up with a good theory of intelligence YOU WILL
> KNOW, probably in just a matter of hours.

 The story all accumulated robust knowledge features radical layering
between 'details' , sometimes speaking to a foundational 'reduceable'
scheme, sometimes featuring as yet not understand laws of emergence, and so
on.

It's arguable not realistic to assess the status of knowledge in terms of
some as yet not understood but suspected layer. Purely for the reason, your
position is necessarily non-distinct. There are going to be senses in which
you are right. As in..we don't understand the fundamental biological
architectural basis of intelligence.

But there are layers of understanding notwithstanding that deficit, which
exhibit the characteristics of reliable scientific knowledge.

What you seem to be doing John, is trying to make a position that something
is equal across distinct domains (like computers and humans), that involves
implicitly or otherwise dismissing both the reality of difference in the
current status of how major layers of hard knowledge has in respect of,
here 'intelligence' AND the accumulate characteristic reality of knowledge
that it is layered and that layers are typically independent on some or
other sense, and therefore robust in and of themselves.