On 6/17/2014 9:36 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:
Pretty neat trick.. using quantum coherence to allow energy from captured
sunlight to get to the algae's photosynthesis reaction centers as fast as
possible.

Quantum biology: Algae may prove to be key ingredient for organic solar
cells

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8680/20140617/algae-may-prove-key-ingredie
nt-organic-solar-cells.htm

A research team led by Australian scientists says a strange quantum
phenomenon during photosynthesis that allows algae to survive in low lights
levels might lead to more efficient organic-based solar cells.

The exact function of the quantum effect known as coherence in algae is
unknown, they say, but likely is how they harvest energy from the sun at low
light levels.

"We studied tiny single-celled algae called cryptophytes that thrive in the
bottom of pools of water, or under thick ice, where very little light
reaches them," says senior study author Paul Curmi of the University of New
South Wales.

What is baffling to me is that photosynthesis in algae relies on absorption in the red and blue part of the spectrum, but reflects the big green part in between?? Why didn't it evolve another pigment to capture that in order to live in low light conditions?