From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:37 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Germany sets record for peak energy use - 50 percent comes from
solar (Update)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There is no way on earth that environmentalists are going to convince the
>> world powers to get rid of nuclear submarines, so it's a waste of time to
>> even mention them.

> Yes there is. Ignoring a problem doesn't magically make it nonexistent.

In my opinion life is too short to worry about insoluble problems, but there is
no disputing matters of taste.

> You're missing the point. Radioactive material is a different SORT of
> contaminant to anything produced by coal (apart from traces of radioactive
> material in coal).

It's one hell of a lot more than a trace! The fly ash from a coal power plant
injects 100 times as much radiation into the environment as a nuclear power
plant of equal electrical output; not to mention manufacturing a vast amount of
CO2 and a witches brew of toxic chemicals that a nuclear plant doesn't produce
at all.

This is a valid point up to a point. Unless the world goes to a breeder reactor
system, the current nuclear power plants have produced a legacy of high level
nuclear waste that will require incredibly long term sequestration (unless it
gets burned up in re-processing system)

Chris

  John K Clark