On 09 Jul 2014, at 04:03, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/8/2014 6:14 PM, LizR wrote:
On 9 July 2014 12:36, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
the proof that mga gives is a reductio assumibg it's the physical instantiation that gives the computation reality. The conscious computation is assumed at the start given the requirement that we are in a computationalist settings...
Yes, it assumes a computation can have meaning in itself without referents.

Aren't the referents supplied by recording the original computation? But I'm not sure what "meaning" is here. Do brain cells have meaning while operating, or is it something that emerges from their operation?

But that seems like a dubious assumption to me. How then do you answer the paradox of the conscious rock?

Do you need to? Rocks apparently emerge from infinite computational traces in comp anyway...! (So perhaps they can support consciousness acccording to comp, or at least they can instantiate some of the infinite computations that support it?)
mga is about physical instantiation.

That's what I said. And I think it fails to show that no physical instantiation is necessary because it relies on the meaning given to the original computational sequence to impute meaning to the MG.

This is a good point, and one I think I have got my head around now. However, it appears to imply that meaning is the "supernatural extra stuff" I mentioned earlier, which is supposed to differentiate an original computation from a replay.

So suppose we have a conscious computer frozen in state S1. We start it running and let it interact with its environment via, say, a body in the form of a Mars Rover. We record all the inputs it receives from its sensors, incoming signals from anywhere else, etc. After say 10 minutes we stop the recording and we turn to another computer, on Earth, with no body, also in state S1, and now we play back the inputs we recorded from teh first one. Why would the second computer not behave exactly like the first one, believing that it's interacting with the surface of Mars? And if it does, why would it be any less conscious than the first one?

I'd say that if it instantiates conscious, thoughts then they take their meaning from Mars, even though it's "second hand". Maudlin adds extra machinery to provide counterfactual computations. This must assume interaction with some environment in order that the counterfactual events can be defined.

You miss the point. maudlin extra-machinery to get the a machine which is counterfactually correct, yet the machinery will not interact and be physically inactive for the precise computation considered. maudlin shows that we can incarnate any particular computations with basically any physical activity (and indeed I showed we can diminish the physical activity up to nothing).

Or looked at another way, suppose there were a different Europa rover which had different sensors and programs and actuators, but by coincidence of it's interaction with the environment it happened to have a sequence of inputs and outputs from it's cpu exactly the same as a sequence that occurred in Mars rover. So when the sequence is played back in a simulation on Earth, does the simulation experience being on Mars or on Europa?

Or am I missing the point?

Dunno. My point is that consciousness may be more holistic than supposed, i.e. it depends on environment and maybe even on the evolutionary history.

That is close to the comp consequence, where consciousness depends on all possible environments, and on all possible computations going through classes of states (corresponding to stable enough first person experiences). An environment is always a universal machine in *your* or our (first person plural) neighborhoods. The cooperation makes rarer the individual relative aberant continuation, plausibly. To stabilize on individual histories, consciousness might require some depth (in Bennett sense of (simplifying a lot) intrinsic long runtime computations) and requires or cannot avoid, the big "self"- multiplication).