On 7/10/2014 10:45 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

Le 11 juil. 2014 02:15, "meekerdb" <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> a écrit :

> On 7/10/2014 5:01 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>>

>> > It's my example and ex hypothesi they do go through the same states, they're just *about* different things.
>>
>> Either both are the same computation and goes through the same state computing the same thing
>>

> But "same thing" is ambiguous. They may both compute 2.76 but in one case I know it means degrees Kelvin and in the other it's parts-per-million.

I don't care what the computation means to you.

And I don't care what you assert without support.

If they go through the same states, they're the same computation.

OK, they can't be conscious of anything on pain of ambiguity.

What you do or not with the output if any is of no concern for that.

> In which case I'm the external world providing the referents.

In case of a conscious computation, it is it that provides the meaning.

OK, was it conscious of computing a temperature or a density?