From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 17, 2014 12:31 pm
Subject: Re: Electron spin and consciousness

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Maybe there is a quantum aspect to consciousness.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/08/06/1404387111.full.pdf+html

As near as science can tell there is a quantum aspect to EVERYTHING. The paper
says "We conclude that there may be a connection between spin, electron
currents in cells, and the functioning of the nervous system", well... it would
be very surprising indeed if a fundamental property like the electron's spin, a
property as important as its charge, was not involved in the operation of
nerves. IF the hard drive on your computer is newer than about 2003 (and if it
isn't it's time to get a new computer) then it too makes use of the electron's
spin and could not hold nearly as much information as it does if it did not. I
don't see how electron spin has more to do with consciousness than electron
charge. And general anesthesia not only causes you to loose consciousness it
also causes you to loose intelligence which is yet another reason I think the
two are inextricably linked.

   John K Clark