Mathematics is human thinking, we are smart to have mastered SOME of it (not
all, as the progression of math shows).

John M

John one question that comes to mind then is: if math is the cultural
accumulated product of human thought over the arc of the history of recorded
culture, then what about all the mathematical and geometric patterns that
appear and reappear in nature quite apart from any human cultural input. For
example how ratios such as the golden ratio (e.g. 1·618034 approximately), or
the Fibonacci series manifest in things as diverse as conch shells to the
spiral arms of [spiral] galaxies.

And in geometry the ratio of a radius to a circumference has been very closely
approximated by human cultural achievement, but this ratio certainly is not a
human cultural invention… is it?

There exists a large number of such ratios in geometry, math and in nature
itself. Certainly these precisely defined relationships existed before there
were hominids on this planet… in fact can you even conceive of a time or
universe where these basic mathematical ratios do not hold true? Perhaps you
can, but it would be a bizarre universe utterly unlike the one in which we
inhabit.

Even the most basic stuff… say the concept of the set. Is this just a human
cultural invention? Certainly on one level it is, we have developed a theory of
sets and incorporate and manipulate sets at so many levels of human activity,
but does this fact of our cultural discovery of set theory and wide employ of
the techniques and structures it provides us with  translate into the much more
fundamental claim that set theory itself only exists in so far as humans have
invented it. Would not some alien culture (biological or with some artificial
substrate) come discover the same set theory as we have? If not… then why? I am
arguing that there is something fundamental about an abstract something such as
a set… even an empty set. The kinds of operations the manner in which it
selectively includes “likes” while excluding “unlikes”.

What about fractals? Purely a human artifact? Then explain how fractals show up
all over nature from ferns to snowflakes?

And… the infinite set of countable natural numbers [e.g. 1, 2, 3… N]? Is this
purely a human cultural invention with no independent existence outside of
human culture?

As you can see from my questions… If that is I understood your position of
course <grin>… I think that there is strong evidence for many kinds of
mathematically precise relationships in nature, that many quite clear patterns
exist and repeat across many scales and domains in the natural universe
(outside of human culture).

It seems to me that math is better defined as our accumulated human cultural
achievement in understanding basic fundamental laws and patterns of the
universe we inhabit. It is our human cultural discovery of something a lot
deeper and vaster than what can possibly be contained in the meager store of
our species accumulated musings over the last handful of millennia.

Cheers,

Chris