On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> By your post, it seems you do not believe in a primary biological reality
> or even a chemical universe.

I don't know, give me some examples of "a primary biological reality" and
"a chemical universe" and I'll be able to tell you if I believe in them or
not. And remember I don't want definitions I want examples.

> It seems that you believe that chemistry can be reduced conceptually to
> physics.

Obviously.

> > This means that we don't need to assume some vital or chemical
> principles.

As a practical matter when you get to the level of chemistry and biology
you do have to assume some approximations and statistical laws; even in
physics we'd be lost without statistical ideas like pressure and
temperature.

> > Physical entities and physical laws can explain the chemical laws, which
> can explain the biological laws.

Obviously.

> >Here the physical entities and laws are primary and the chemical and
> biological are not.

I would agree that physical laws come before biological laws in a objective
chain of cause and effect, but "primary" means highest rank in importance
and so there is some subjectivity thrown into the mix, and so I wouldn't
necessarily agree that the laws of physics are more important than the laws
of chemistry or biology.

 > My question can be put in this way: do you think we necessarily need to
> assume physical entities, or are you open to the idea that the physical
> itself can be reduced to another field (like perhaps number theory, or
> mathematics, or some abstract psychology, or theology, of computer science,
> etc.)?

Sure I'm open to the idea, but as to which came first physics or
mathematics I don't know. I am a physics agnostic, but as I understand it
you are a atheist.

> The fact that a book in physics use mathematical notions does not imply
> that the mathematical notions are physical.

True, but it does not imply that the mathematics is not physical.either.

> Book on gastronomy use english does not make the use of english an object
> of gastronomy.

English can describe food but food came before English. You seem to be
implying that mathematics is just a language that can describe physics. I
don't know if that's true but if it is then physics came before mathematics.

  John K Clark