From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:12 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: The world's most environmentally friendly car

On 16 Mar 2015, at 11:47, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:34 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well of course laughing AT people you dislike is a classic bullying technique.
And then you say "oh come on it was only a joke!"

Yet bullies never make jokes about themselves, because they are often
humourless sociopaths.

I agree. I think people understand intuitively that making fun of someone that
is at a disadvantage in relation to you is just mean and distasteful. It is
sociopathic to find that sort of thing funny. It's very common with teenagers,
and I think that part of the reason is fear: if you don't join in on the
bullying, you could become the victim yourself. Unfortunately, some people
never develop past that stage.

I don't think that this joke is mean in any sense. On the contrary, I think
that environmentalists that can't laugh about it a bit should be worried that
they are becoming too religious.

I even think that great jokes can be made about the senseless destruction of
everything we hold dear. People who don't believe me should read "The
Hitchhiker's Guid to the Galaxy".

Of course readers of this list knows that the Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy
contains gross mistakes, like confusing 42 and 24.

I agree with you about the joke. I get surprised of Chris' reply. In my mind
the joke could have been done by an environmentalist, the extreme exaggeration
is too much funny. It is Monty Python like.

Have been pretty busy so don’t have much time these days.

Hey in some ways it was funny; perhaps my response was quick on the draw;
certainly not proposing it should be banned or anything. I like dark humor.

My comment was more directed – if I recall – at John; it seemed to me to
reconfirm the scorn he holds environmentalists in, which I don’t think he will
deny. His scorn and despising of environmentalism, of notions such as
sustainability etc. is I believe quite well known on this list. He has
certainly made it abundantly clear to me. My response was directed towards
John’s motivation, in the context of his own political views. I am sure John
found it very funny; he posted it after all, and in a dark way it is funny, but
it is also – I am saying – an act – the act of posting that particular piece of
humor (out of the universe of contemporary potential items of mirth) that can
be interpreted as being motivated by scorn  that is held by the actor – in this
case John – and the subject of the humor.. in this case the impaled greenie in
the Prius.

In any case I had more or less even forgotten I had made that post. And the one
right after that when I got net nannied by someone.

I am also certain that John has thick skin; I doubt I even flustered him at all.

-Chris

BTW, when I get more time, and more sleep to think correctly and avoid too much
typo errors, I will rewrite my yesterday comment. Apology.

When my poor soul want to say "X cannot do Y", my lazy body starts the economy
of work program and it suggests using the abbreviation "X can't do Y". But then
by an excess of enthusiasm in the procedure, or perhaps because my virtual
internal hearing miss the mental "t",  my poor hands end up with writing "X can
do Y".

Please, note that most of the time when I say "can", I mean "cannot".

Bruno

Fiction: "Yes, we can,"

Reality: "No, we cannot."

Telmo.

Dunno if this is on topic but I thought I'd mention it anyway, just in case.