...but if this happens it shows what you can accomplish if you don't have
to mess around with any pesky democratic processes...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-18/china-increases-solar-target-for-2015-as-it-fights-air-pollution

I just hope the USA decides that this constitutes a challenge (it could be
called the Warm War, perhaps) "By the end of the decade, we will have gone
100% to solar power AND sucked all the excess CO2 from the atmosphere!"

(Of course the last president to make that sort of promise promptly got
assassinated.)